The itchy, tight, cracking that occurs with dry skin is often worse in fall and winter when the low humidity of winter and cold weather rob you of what little moisture your skin has. So try these natural tips to soothe and heal dry skin.
- Avoid long hot showers. Heat robs the skin of its moisture.
- Immediately after showering or bathing apply a light natural oil (almond, avocado, coconut) to skin to seal in moisture.
- Do not use body products that contain alcohol. Alcohol is extremely drying.
- Add lemon juice or vinegar to bath water to balance out the alkaline in soap or bubble bath.
- Add 1 cup of dried milk to your bath to soothe and soften skin. (It worked for Cleopatra)
- Add a few drops of a light oil to bath water (Careful tub may be slippery)
- Exfoliate. Exfoliating removes dry dead skin and allows moisturizers to penetrate.
- Instead of lotion which is mainly water, use a butter or balm to smooth and protect skin.
- Drink Water. Dry on the inside = Dry on the outside.